Tuesday, June 03, 2008

98,000 miles

Santa Rosa, CA

Transmission faulty, leaking oil


Persistent, but inconsistent failure to up-shift from 1st to 2nd gear. Transmission often sticks in the neutral position. Sometimes succeeds in shifting after several attempts, sometimes requires downshifting to 1st before again trying to shift to 2nd.

This was the transmission installed a little over two weeks ago, a "used" transmission that had been changed out under warranty. The reported defect was an oil leak, which they said proved to be false.

Since I paid nothing for the transmission, only the cost of installation, I have decided to "work with it" and try and adjust my own "programming" to compensate for and adjust to this "challenge".

The options are to install a new transmission ($3,299.44), search for a used transmission and take a chance on that, dismantle this transmission and try to diagnose the issue (unlikely to be a cost-saving undertaking, according to the BMW shop owner) or to work with it "as is". I told the owner that I can't see throwing away a transmission that only had 1,000 miles on it. (Not consistent with my environmental side!) I want to see how many miles I can get out of this thing.

The primary oil leak, apparently from the potentiometer housing, should be repaired in the coming days.

No comments: