Friday, July 01, 2011

124,800 miles

Santa Rosa, CA

Status of the Blog

Over the past four years, I've drastically reduced use of the BMW (my only vehicle.) I'm now driving 5 or 6,000 miles a year, versus the over-30,000 miles I drove most years since 1970, walking more, contributing fewer of my dollars to BMW and the oil companies (and fewer pollutants to the environment. Maybe I've finally taken to heart those who condemned me for being a "pseudo environmental activist", spewing gas fumes across the hemisphere.)

So, I expect there will be little more to write here. But I'll leave the blog up for now.

***

A few minor issues continue, which I've tolerated since I'm presently just driving in town a two or three times a week. Otherwise, in its present capacity, the bike performs reliably.
  • Rear brake servo seems increasingly reluctant to kick in on start-up. It is remedied by shutting down and re-starting.
  • Oil seepage around clutch potentiometer housing or transmission output shaft seal (or both), and transmission housing mating surfaces continues, but seems tolerable as long as I keep an eye on lubricant levels and clean the area as needed.
  • Front suspension  is compromised - could be the strut (no signs of leakage) or loss of fork fluid over the years. If I were intending to do any off-road riding loaded with gear, this would certainly have to be addressed.

White smoke on start-up, that had been a common feature in recent years has not been present lately, and its absence may be related to having valves more correctly adjusted.

1 comment:

Richard said...

That's a shame you don't ride as much. I've enjoyed your maintenance (b)logs. And for what it's worth, our planet is pretty tough. It's able to scrub a great amount of filth that comes from our factories and such.